AIA/Architectural Record Continuing
1. In the Midtown Manhattan office building, what indicated that fasteners had
originally been installed?
a. wear on brackets and plates
b. fastener locking devices were found
c. inspection of spandrel beam clips
d. location of the missing fasteners
2. The investigation of the Manhattan office building determined that the
louvered section of the curtain wall failed because of which?
a. omitted mullions
b. wear on brackets and plates
c. metal fatigue
d. omitted spandrel clips
3. The team that examined the hidden connections in the Manhattan office
building used what device?
a. convection units
b. a borescope
c. magnetic pliers
d. a fluoroscope
4. The WWCOT team conducted tests and performed analysis to check for
which of the following?
a. water leakage with the HVAC systems on
c. water leakage with the HVAC systems off
d. all of the above
5. WWCOT’s calculation of the surface temperatures of each of the
materials in the floor assembly ruled out which as the source of the moisture?
a. deficient flashing
b. roof penetrations
6. WWCOT determined that the source of the water problem was which?
a. decking and sheathing were left unprotected during construction
b. the construction took place during a rainy season
c. water was trapped inside the wood by other materials
d. all of the conditions above contributed to the water problem
7. Which indicated to WWCOT that the wood was already wet during
a. the finding of asphalt on the roof
b. the finding of intumescent paint on the underside of the decking
c. a report of difficulty in getting the intumescent paint to adhere
d. layers of sheet metal on the floor
8. The extensive cracking on the skin of the Williamsburgh Savings Bank
building in Brooklyn is due to what?
a. terra-cotta ornament
b. thick brick cladding
c. no provision for thermal movement
d. expansion joints that are too deep
9. Access to the Brooklyn tower for evaluating the facade was accomplished by
b. swing stage
c. frame scaffolding
10. The custom-shaped brick above the windows of the Brooklyn building is
being replaced by cast stone for which reason?
a. custom-shaped brick will take too long to produce
b. cast stone will be faster to produce
c. the notched brick is vulnerable to thermal expansion and contraction
d. all three of the reasons listed above
Click here to print the reporting form.