- Roofing: Suprema
- Skylights: Circle Redmont
- Paints and stains: Benjamin Moore paints
The two-story 1870s brick building at the edge of the TriBeCa West Historic District has distinctive corbelled brickwork, an unusual acute plan, low massing, and a multitude of French- and double-hung windows. A financial executive purchased the building and combined it with the adjacent plot into one tax lot.
In an area increasingly populated by new and renovated condo towers, the architects wanted to respect the building’s landmarked status and complement the pedestrian-friendly streets. They designed a new six-story structure and attached it to the renovated historic brick structure, fully integrating both internally for a total of 11,500 square feet. The new tower uses steel framing and composite fiber cement panels to complement the cast iron and terra-cotta structures in the neighborhood.
The exterior of the two-story historic structure was painstakingly preserved. At the second floor, the old and new buildings flow seamlessly into each other, forming an open-air courtyard, a huge open-plan living, dining and kitchen area, and a media room. The roof of the two-story structure incorporates extensive irrigated roof gardens with structural skylights.
Turett Collaborative Architects
277 Broadway Suite 1300, NYC